Wednesday, September 13, 2006

First Sunday School Junior Class

Last Sunday, I taught my first class in the Bukit Beruntung Chapel Sunday School Junior Class. There were 5 children - 4 girls and 1 boy. The lesson was on God's creation. It was just a very simple lesson on what God created. Yung Ling helped me to put up a blank piece of paper. As I shared with them, I got them to come up and draw - sun, moon, stars, clouds, trees, fish, animals and plants. In the end, they coloured a picture of Adam and Eve with some animals and trees. These children love to draw and colour. Two children from the Senior class actually came to do the colouring as well. I'm not sure whether they remembered what I told them. I will ask them questions in the next lesson to find out what they have learned.

The next lesson is about sin. The story starts with Adam and Eve in the Garden of Eden - the first sin. They disobeyed God by eating the fruit from the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil. (15 The LORD God took the man and put him in the Garden of Eden to work it and take care of it. 16 And the LORD God commanded the man, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; 17 but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die." Genesis 2:15-17 [NIV]). Eve was tempted by the serpent to eat the fruit first. She saw that the fruit of the tree was good for food and pleasing to the eye, and also desirable for gaining wisdom, she took some and ate it. She also gave some to Adam, who was with her, and he ate it. Because of their disobedience, God banished them from the Garden of Eden.

Hmmm...I will need to think of some simple applications. The activity that Yung Ling suggested is to fold an origami snake. I think it's going to be fun. Probably get them to colour their snakes as well. So, the activity is "Fun with Snake".

As I relate to the children, I am beginning to see myself teaching Jordan in the near future. Good practice, eh? As Sunday School teachers, we may not even see the fruit from these children but we are here to plant, sow and water, and leave the rest to God. Amen!

No comments: