Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Blessed 36th Birthday to Seng Chor

Seng Chor, my beloved hubby was born in Bukit Mertajam, Penang, exactly 36 years ago. When he was about 2 to 3 months old, his parents came down to stay and work in Petaling Jaya (PJ). In 1980, his parents decided to move back to Penang to work in the Butterworth Paper Cup factory. They are still working there until today. However, Seng Chor didn’t follow them back. He stayed on in PJ. Initially, he stayed with his Aunties. When he was about 1 or 2 years old, he was placed at his babysitter’s home who eventually became his god mother (Kai Ma). He stayed with his Kai-Ma until we got married in 2000.

His Kai-Ma is a babysitter. In her younger days, she took care of more than 10 children including her own. Now, she is taking care of Jordan. Seng Chor helped her to baby sit when he was only about 6 to 7 years old. So, my hubby has more than 20 years of babysitting experience. He can teach you how to fold a nappy, change, feed and bathe the baby. He was the one who taught me all the basic babysitting skills – change diaper, feed and bathe. I remember the church celebrating Father’s Day many years, and in one of the games, the men had to show their skills in folding nappies. I think Seng Chor was one of the few men who could fold a nappy properly. I was proud of him. Hehehe!

In the first year of motherhood, I was kind of lost whenever he was not around. It was a difficult time for me. I was probably relying on him too much. I often got scolding from him for not doing things right. How sad. Things were better after the first year. Seng Chor somehow began to play a lesser role. He still does the basic stuffs – changes, feeds and bathes Jordan but other than that he hardly spends time with him. Lately, he is spending more time with him. He is the one who takes Jordan to bed every night – change him, get him to drink his milk, play with him and brush his teeth. I still hope that he will teach Jordan more rather than just doing the basic child care. Well, I can’t expect too much from him. As a father, he is doing well, and he will do his best for the family.

As a husband, he is considered loving but he can still do much better than that. Hehehe! He always takes the initiative to plan for my birthday and also our wedding anniversary. Before we got married, I would consider him a romantic person. Unfortunately, the romantic-ness is slowly disappearing. Hahaha! There were occasion surprises. Well, again, my expectations may be too high. Overall, he is a fun and loving guy.

Today, as Seng Chor celebrates his 36th birthday, I believed that God has this promise for him from Jeremiah 33:3

'Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know.'


May God grant him inner joy as he prepares himself for our second child. May he continue to be bold and rely on God’s strength at all times.

No comments: