Friday, March 09, 2007

First Porridge

I cooked porridge for Jordan for the first time on Saturday, 24 February 2007. Seng Chor got up early that day to go to the Section 17 market. He bought 5 carrots, 3 big potatoes and 3 slices of fish. He baby sat Jordan while I prepared the porridge.

He asked me to prepare it for our lunch as well. I was not sure of the amount to put in. My mum’s recipe is meant only for Jordan and it doesn’t mention how the fish should be prepared. I called her to check but I didn’t manage to get the full instructions. So, I consulted Seng Chor. He suggested putting 2 of each since I am cooking for all – 2 carrots, 2 potatoes and 2 slices of fish. Firstly, I soaked the brown rice as instructed by my mum’s recipe. Then, I started to cut the carrots and potatoes into cubes. The amount was really a lot. I realized my mistake. I boiled the brown rice first for about half an hour. Later, I realized that I should boil the carrots and potatoes together with the rice, so that, the carrots and potatoes will be softer faster.

As the porridge was boiling, I started to prepare the fish. Seng Chor said I need to debone the fish. It was not clear whether I should cook the fish first or debone first. His instruction sounds like debone first. So, that’s what I did – I deboned the fish before cooking it. Second major mistake. Deboning fish before cooking is tough. I gave up half way and cooked the fish instead. It was so much easier to debone after cooking it. As I debone, I mixed the fish together with the rice, carrot and potatoes.

I ended up with a pot full of porridge for at least 5 or 6 people to eat! It was more like potato porridge. Hardly see any rice. It tastes good. Thankfully, Jordan ate but not much.

Lessons learned

  • No need to put so many carrot/potato/fish

  • Add more rice

  • Cook carrot and potato together with rice

  • Cook fish first before deboning

  • Add less water


My second porridge for Jordan was better. It was on Wednesday, 7 March 2007. The only thing to improve is the level of water. Need to reduce some more. More rice can be added as well.

Well…Seng Chor has reminded me that practice makes perfect. :p




The big pot of porridge.



First bowl for Jordan.

No comments: