Wednesday, December 13, 2006

The Birth of Jordan

One more day…actually less than a day, my precious baby Jordan will be One year old. Time just zooms by super fast. Last year, during this time I was still very heavy with Jordan. The gynae gave me 2 options – induce for normal delivery or caesarean. Chances of normal delivery are slim. After a short discussion with Seng Chor, we opted for caesarean, which according to the gynae is a better option. No stress for the baby and I.

Tuesday, 13 December 2006, night, I was actually leaking slightly but I ignored it. About 7 am the next day, Seng Chor and I left for the hospital for the scheduled caesarean at about 10 am something. I checked into a double bed room. I wanted a single bed but none available. In the room, I told the nurse about my leakage and she sort of scolded me for not coming to the hospital the night before. Thank God that Jordan was alright.

After the preliminary procedures, I was wheeled into the operation theatre at about 10 am. I was injected with epidural – an anesthetic put into the lower part of the back so that no pain is felt below the waist. That means I was fully conscious when Jordan was pulled out by the doctor. Seng Chor was inside the operation theatre with me. So, I asked him to describe what the doctor was doing – cutting me up, pulling Jordan out and sewing me back – lots of blood. *Eeek*. I heard a soft cry when Jordan was pulled out – 10:23 am. He weighed 3.625 kg = 8 pounds, 50 cm in length and his head circumference measured 34.5 cm.

The nurses cleaned him up before showing him to Seng Chor and I. He looked so much like his Daddy. He was a big baby. Then, Seng Chor left as the gynae continued to stitch me up. The stitching took quite long because he had to stitch layer by layer – our skin has multiple layers.

After the procedure, I was moved back to the room, and waited for Jordan. The pediatrician was attending him. I just couldn’t wait to hold him in my arms. Then, the moment finally arrived. He’s so adorable. I gave him my first kiss. Then, I started to breastfeed him. It was difficult at first because I couldn’t really move much. Gradually, I was able to handle him better. I was in the hospital for 4 days, 3 nights. During the time he was away from me, I missed him so much. After 2 days, I was able to walk slowly to see him at the nursery.

He was a healthy baby. He had mild jaundice but because he was a big baby, there was no cause for concern. We were both discharged on Saturday, 17 December 2006.

More on the birth of Jordan…coming soon

No comments: