Thursday, September 04, 2008

Kundasang – 3rd, 4th and 5th Day in Sabah

We spent the next 3 days at Kundasang. Mum, Dad, Jordan and I in Dad’s car, while Seng Chor drove Mum’s car with Chee Keong and Yoke Kheng. We left the house at 10 am and arrived at Kundasang before 12 noon.

We stopped by some handicraft stalls for toilet break and snacks. Then, we headed straight to the Kinabalu Rose Cabin - our accommodation for the next 2 nights.

My Dad has actually booked 3 rooms but then because of miscommunication, they reserved only 2 rooms for us. Finally, we settled for one family room – with 2 single beds, one double bed and a double decker single bed. It was a big room. No complaint about the room except for the heater. It is rather difficult to adjust the temperature – it’s either too cold or too hot. Somehow we managed after a few tries. Some of us used the bucket to mix the water before bathing.

After lunch, we visited the Mount Kinabalu Heritage. Mount Kinabalu Heritage Resort and Spa (formerly known as Perkasa Hotel) sits graciously atop a hill 5000 feet above sea level with a spectacular view of the majestic Mount Kinabalu, the highest mountain in South East Asia. Unfortunately, it was drizzling. So, we were not able to see Mt Kinabalu. About 45 minutes later, we returned to Rose Cabin to rest.

Dinner was lovely. I would strongly recommend Rose Cabin because of the food. The restaurant offers the best of Local, Chinese, Western cuisine and fusion. I will miss the corn soup and French toast. Nice!

That night, all of us slept after 9 pm. The guys had to wake at 6 am to prepare for their mountain climbing the next day. As for the ladies and Jordan, we joined Jenny’s church for worship at the Mount Kinabalu Heritage. Coincidentally, they were having their retreat in Kundasang. Jordan was active as usual. He spent most of the time playing with one of the boys there. Praise God that I was able to sit through most of the sermon by the camp speaker – Rev. George Ong from Singapore. He spoke from Jeremiah 1:4-10 with the title “Compelled by the Call”. Below are the 3 points he shared:

1) An amazing call in the light of insignificance. (v. 4 – 5)
2) An affirmative call in the light of inadequacy. (v. 6 – 9)
3) An awesome call in the light of impossibility. (v. 10)

Rev. George is a humorous guy. He shared quite a few of jokes throughout the message. He has actually written numerous books on jokes. Jokes aside, the message was simple, straightforward and meaningful. God’s call was amazing because He knew Jeremiah even before Jeremiah was formed in the womb. It was an affirmative call though Jeremiah felt inadequate. The call was awesome because Jeremiah felt that it was an impossible task to accomplish. Indeed, like Jeremiah we should be compelled by God’s calling in whatever we do – whether we are serving or being served.

We didn’t join the group discussion. Instead, we headed for the Kinabalu National Park.

Kinabalu National Park is designated as Malaysia’s First World Heritage site in December 2000. A botanical paradise, it is home to over 1,200 species of orchids, 26 species of rhododendrons, 9 species of nepenthes, 100 species of mammals and 326 species of birds. In the midst of it stands the majestic Mt Kinabalu measuring some 4,095 m tall. ( Lily Kugan)

At the National Park, we visited the exhibition hall. Jordan enjoyed looking at the stuff animals and butterflies. After lunch at the Liwagu Restaurant, we went back to Rose Cabin.

In the evening, we had a good view of Mount Kinabalu and managed to capture some photographs.

That was the second night at Kundasang.

The next day, I had a wonderful English breakfast – toast (strawberry jam and butter), egg, sausages and baked beans. We didn’t do much for the rest of the day. We checked out at 1 pm after lunch. Then, we went to National Park to wait for the guys to come down. They arrived at the base at almost 4 pm. After collecting their certificates, we drove back to Kota Kinabalu. We reached home around 5:30 pm.

Once again, we had a sumptuous dinner at Supertanker. Mum and Dad invited Uncle David and Aunty Doris (family friend) as well. Jordan was once again treated with a special privilege. The owner of the restaurant gave him 2 pieces of jelly at one time. He really enjoyed it so much.

That was our last night in Kota Kinabalu.

No comments: