Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Ministering Spiritual Gifts – What I’ve Learnt

About one month ago, Pastor Serena from the Baptist Church in Kota Kinabalu, Sabah conducted a workshop on Ministering Spiritual Gifts in my church. It was held from 25 September to 27 September 2008.

The materials were compiled by Dr Bill Hamon. In this post, I would like to share what I’ve learnt during the workshop. The workshop was divided into 3 main parts:

Part 1 Teaching and Activating the Prophetic
Part 2 Teaching and Activating Revelation Gifts
Part 3 Teaching and Activating Songs of the Lord, Warfare songs

Session One – Gift of Prophecy
On the first night, Pastor Serena laid down the foundation on the Gift of Prophecy.

There are 2 types of Gift of Prophecy:
• Foretell
• Forthtell

I was reminded of the purpose of gift of prophecy from 1 Corinthians 14:3 -
But everyone who prophesies speaks to men for their strengthening, encouragement and comfort.

These are 3 main purposes of Gift of Prophecy:
1. Strengthening
2. Encouragement
3. Comfort

Pastor Serena also shared from 1 Corinthians 12:4 -11 on the type of spiritual gifts.
4 There are different kinds of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are different kinds of service, but the same Lord. 6 There are different kinds of working, but the same God works all of them in all men.
7 Now to each one the manifestation of the Spirit is given for the common good. 8 To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healing by that one Spirit, 10 to another miraculous powers, to another prophecy, to another distinguishing between spirits, to another speaking in different kinds of tongues, and to still another the interpretation of tongues. 11 All these are the work of one and the same Spirit, and he gives them to each one, just as he determines.

We can divide the spiritual gifts into 3 categories

  1. Utterance Gifts (Mouth)

    • Tongues

    • Interpretation of tongues

    • Prophecy

  2. Revelation Gifts (Mind, Eye)

    • Word of knowledge

    • Word of wisdom

    • Discerning of spirits

  3. Power Gifts (Hands)

    • Gifts of healing (physical, emotional)

    • Miracles (instant)

    • Faith (to believe the impossible)


I was enlightened when Pastor Serena highlighted the chapter in between 1 Corinthians 12 and 14. What’s the chapter? Of course it is Chapter 13. Chapter 13 in 1 Corinthians focuses on Love which is the environment and motivation of the activation of gift. Isn’t this something beautiful? LOVE is the environment of the activation of gift. We need LOVE to motivate the activation of the gift.

3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.


Session Two – “GOD WANTS TO COMMUNICATE”

I) WHY GOD WANTS TO COMMUNICATE

Psalms 139: 17 – 18
17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18 Were I to count them,
they would outnumber the grains of sand.
When I awake,
I am still with you.
God is continually thinking about us. 1 John 4:8 tells us that God is love. He is motivated by love, and communication is an integral part of God’s personality and love for us (See Psalm 95:7 – 8)

A) IT IS COMMON FOR GOD TO COMMUNICATE

Throughout Scripture we see God communicating to mankind and to His entire creation. He spoke to young, old, to sinner and to saint.

i) Illustrated in Genesis – God communicates through the spoken word, visions and dreams.
ii) Illustrated through the entire Bible – God speaking to individuals was a common occurrence throughout the Old and New Testaments. Below are just a few examples of God speaking to men and women, both the righteous and unrighteous.

B) HEARING THE VOICE OF THE LORD BRINGS US MANY BENEFITS:

i) It brings purpose to our corporate existence
ii) It brings revelation of His plan for us
iii) It brings protection to our lives
iv) It brings provision
v) It brings peace into our hearts
vi) It brings intimacy
vii) It brings transformation

II) METHODS OF COMMUNICATION

Old Testament Prophets – God’s Communication Channel
Jesus – God’s Ultimate Revealer
The Bible History – God in Written Form
The Holy Spirit – God’s Voice, Teacher and Agent of Truth
New Testament Prophets – God’s Spokesman
Prophecy – The Voice of the Holy Spirit
Angels – The Messengers of God


III) GOD CREATED US TO HEAR HIS VOICE

Proverbs 20:12
Ears that hear and eyes that see— the LORD has made them both.


Session Three – “DISCERNING THE VOICE OF GOD”

I) LEARNING TO DISCERN GOD’S VOICE

A) DISCERNMENT COMES AS A PROCESS OF GROWTH

Hearing the voice of God is not hard, but each individual must continually exercise his/her spiritual senses in order to grow in his/her “receptive” abilities (see Hebrew 5:14). The key to discerning the voice of God is to continually exercise our spiritual ears to hear. As we spend time with the Father and extend our faith to hear from Him, His voice becomes clearer and more distinct, and we become more familiar and attuned to how He speaks to us.


II) DIFFERENT MEANS OF COMMUNICATION

Isaiah 21: 2 – 3
2 A dire vision has been shown to me:
The traitor betrays, the looter takes loot.
Elam, attack! Media, lay siege!
I will bring to an end all the groaning she caused.
3 At this my body is racked with pain,
pangs seize me, like those of a woman in labor;
I am staggered by what I hear,
I am bewildered by what I see.

Isaiah demonstrates different means of divine communication: a vision, a physical pain and hearing.

A) GOD SPEAKS DIFFERENTLY TO EVERY PERSON

B) LEARN TO DISCERN


III) SEEING

The ability to “see by the spirit” can be divided into three categories: mental image (by the Holy Spirit), visions and dreams (night visions).

IV) HEARING

Hearing can come as an audible voice to the human ear or it can come as a strong mental thought which has originated from the Holy Spirit to the human spirit.

V) FEELING (IMPRESSIONS OR SENSING)

Some receive from the Holy Spirit through impressions. The impression can be physical, emotional or in their spirit.


Session Four – “CHRIST’S COMMANDS CONCERNING SPIRITUAL GIFTS”

I) COVET EARNESTLY

1 Corinthians 12:31
“But earnestly desire the best gift. And yet I show you a more excellent way.”

1 Corinthians 14:39
“…desire earnestly to prophesy, and do not forbid to speak with tongues.”


II) DESIRE SPIRITUAL GIFTS

1 Corinthians 14:1
Follow the way of love and eagerly desire spiritual gifts, especially the gift of prophecy.

Mark 11:24
Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours.
(Desire – Pray – Believe - Have)


III) STIR UP YOUR SPIRITUAL GIFTS

2 Timothy 1:6
For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands.

1 Corinthians 14:14 – 15
14For if I pray in a tongue, my spirit prays, but my mind is unfruitful. 15So what shall I do? I will pray with my spirit, but I will also pray with my mind; I will sing with my spirit, but I will also sing with my mind.


IV) EXERCISE AND USE

A) IT IS BY REASON OF USE THAT BELIEVERS DEVELOP THEIR SPIRITUAL SENSES

Hebrews 5:14
But solid food is for the mature, who by constant use have trained themselves to distinguish good from evil.


B) OUR ABILITY TO DISCERN HAS ETERNAL CONSEQUENCES

(see Malachi 3:16-18; Revelation 5:10, 20:6, 22:5; 2 Timothy 2:12)

C) THE PARABLES OF STEWARDSHIP REVEAL OUR INDIVIDUAL RESPONSIBILITIES


V) BE NOT IGNORANT

1 Corinthians 12:1
Now about spiritual gifts, brothers, I do not want you to be ignorant.

VI) NEGLECT NOT

1 Timothy 4:14
Do not neglect your gift, which was given you through a prophetic message when the body of elders laid their hands on you.

VII) DESPISE NOT

1 Thessalonians 5:19 – 20
19 Do not put out the Spirit's fire; 20 do not treat prophecies with contempt.

VIII) BECOME ADDICTED

1 Corinthians 16:15
15You know that the household of Stephanas were the first converts in Achaia, and they have devoted themselves to the service of the saints. I urge you, brothers,


IX) MUST MANIFEST MEMBERSHIP MINISTRY

A) EVERY SAINT HAS MEMBERSHIP MINISTRY

1 Corinthians 12:27
Romans 12:6

B) COMMANDED TO MINISTER TO ONE ANOTHER

1 Peter 4:10
1 Corinthians 12:11

C) MANIFESTING THE GIFTS BRINGS EDIFICATION AND GROWTH

Ephesians 4:16

No comments: