Monday, December 03, 2007

First Swimming Lesson

I had my first swimming lesson at the Kelab Golf Negara Subang (Subang Country Golf Club) on Saturday, 1 December 2007 – one day before my birthday. The sky threatened to rain that evening. It drizzled but it didn’t pour. Phew!

We arrived at the club at about 6 pm. The class doesn’t start until 6:30 pm. Jordan had his second fun time in the swimming pool. The first was at the Berjaya Redang Resort. Initially, he was a bit scared. After awhile, he got braver and was walking in the children’s pool. He fell into the water twice, so, got frightened a bit but was ok again.

At 6:30 pm, our friend, Patrick introduced me to the instructor. Patrick’s son, Dylan was in the same class as I am. He is 6 years old. There was another little girl in the class – also about 5 – 6 years old. Only 3 of us in the class - I was the only adult. Hehehe! The name of the instructor is Jason. He’s quite tall, slim, dark and not bad looking. He should be younger than me.

The other 2 kids have already learnt before. They can swim already, whereas I can’t even float! The first thing that the instructor asked me to do is to put my entire head into the water. I did it twice. Next, I was asked to hold my breath in the water for as long as I could. I was not fully relax, and only managed to hold my breath for about 5 seconds. Then, he taught me how to breathe out in the water through my nose. I was supposed to create bubbles through my nose for about 4 seconds. Firstly, I should hold my head up slightly, then, take a deep breath using my mouth. Secondly, lower my head into the water, and breathe out through my nose, creating bubbles at the same time. Dylan was really good at it and he even tried to teach me. Hahaha! It was uncomfortable for me because I was having a runny nose on that day. So, I was actually blowing mucus into the pool. Hahaha! I practiced that for a few times but still not so good at it.

Next, I got to do some kicking. With my hands holding the edge of the pool and my head in the water, I tried to kick as much as I could before I ran out of breath. Most of the time, I couldn’t kick to the surface. I managed to do it only once or twice. The instructor seemed happy with it. I need to keep my head down, straighten my leg and kick from my feet. My arms should be straight as well, and hold them close to my ear. He also asked me to count in the water. I should hold my breath for at least 10 seconds. There are just too many things to remember. He noticed that my shoulder was quite tensed. He asked whether my shoulder was aching. I replied that my arms are slightly painful. I was not fully relaxed – this is my main problem. When my whole body is fully relaxed, then only, I could kick better. I think I was thinking too much about what I need to do. Probably I tried too hard. Well, I still can’t float yet. At least, I have learnt some breathing and kicking techniques, and my kicking did improve at some point. It’s still a long way to go. The lesson was conducted for 45 minutes. My next class is on 22 December 2007. Hmm….where can I practice?




My new swimming gear - float and goggles

No comments: